Strategic Negotiating Skills
March 24, 2014 – Itaú BBA – New York
Handshake – Firm, eye-to-eye, break ice.
Seated Posture – Lean forward, gesture and maintain eye contact.
- Understand your Initial Position
- Define your Walk-Away
- Prepare Strategic Counteroffers (in Combination)
- List Specific Get/Give Options
Request an Offer
- Acknowledge counterpart's interest
- State willingness to listen
- Request counterpart's specific position
- "Let me see if I understand…"
- "In other words…"
- "So, what you're saying is…"
Probe for Rationale
- "How did you arrive at that?"
- "Why is that important for you?"
- "What do you think would be fair?"
- "Why do you say that?"
Decline and Explain
- "I’d like you to understand our position…"
- "I'd like you to understand why this is further than we can go…"
Use Get/Give™ Counteroffers
- "If you could…" (Get)
- "Then, I could justify…" (Give)
- Present Treasures
- Added value to confirm agreement
- Summarize and define next steps